If the visitor is being seconded from another organisation a secondment arrangement may be more appropriate. 

All visitors must have a valid right to work in the UK - see the Staff Immigration Team website. 

Academic visitors 

Information for and about academic visitors can be found in a number of places including: 

  • Information about visa requirements is available from the Staff Immigration Team including specific guidance on visitor visas

  • Information about making payments to academic visitors is available from the Finance Division website including their tax status

  • Guidance for international academic visitors  

  • Departmental  HR colleagues can obtain short and long form visitor agreement templates from their HR Business Partner 

An academic visitor normally; 

  • does not have a contract of employment with the University, and 

  •  will be at Oxford for a limited (and defined) period of time (normally up to 1 year, although certain defined fellowships may require a visitor to be at Oxford for up to 3 years), and 

  • is associated with another institution (usually this means as an employee), and 

  • will be returning to their own institution upon completion of their visit to Oxford, and 

  • receives only expenses, honoraria, stipends or fees NOT salary, and 

  • is NOT carrying out a University job. 

Visiting researchers 

Visiting Researchers are required to sign an agreement as a condition of working on University premises, in which they agree to abide by University/departmental regulations and to adhere to relevant University policies. 

Visiting Researchers may be classed as either short term (< 3 months) or long term (> 3 months) visitors.  Separate agreements are available from your HR Business partner for short term and long term visitors.  After advice has been sought from your HRBP, departments and faculties are responsible for putting in place the appropriate visitor form and arranging for its signature and filing.

For visiting researchers who fall into the following categories departmental HR teams should always seeks advice from their HRBP who may need to liaise with Legal Services: 

a) visiting researchers from industry who remain company employees for the duration of their visit 

b) those who are contributing background intellectual property to a University-led research project 

Research Services can provide advice and input on intellectual property, confidentiality and publication, and check there is no conflict with funders’ terms or contracts. 

Related links