- All internal recruitment to refill existing professional, administrative and support posts (unless 80% or more of the funding comes from external sources) including apprenticeships requires approval as follows
- Posts in academic divisions: from the Head of Division or Divisional Registrar
- Posts in Continuing Education: from the Continuing Education Board
- Posts in UAS: from the Registrar
- Posts in GLAM: from the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (GLAM) for posts in GLAM
Divisions are asked to put in place appropriate procedures to ensure that approval is obtained before a vacancy is opened for redeployment/internal advertisement.
- Divisions may only approve the replacement of leavers if there is a strong case that the work in question cannot be halted, delayed or absorbed within the existing staff complement across the division.
- Divisions may only ask the central panel to approve the creation and filling of any new posts or the extension of fixed-term contracts where there is a strong case that:
1) the work in question cannot be absorbed within the existing staff complement across the division; AND
2) one or more of the following conditions is met:
(i) there are overwhelming operational imperatives to fill the post; or
(ii) there are safety risks to the University if the post is not filled; or
(iii) there are legal requirements to fill the post; or
(iv) there is evidence that the post will be fully externally-funded; or
(v) there is evidence that not to recruit will result in demonstrable overall financial loss to the University: or
(vi) the proposed new post forms part of a restructuring proposal which has demonstrated that its filling is necessary to produce overall savings or to significantly increase income.
- If the conditions above are met, the Protocol Form (Professional) must be completed and signed by the relevant divisional authority before recruitment starts to replace a leaver, or before the form is sent to the Registrar’s Recruitment Panel to seek approval for all other cases.
- 12.1 In all cases departments should first of all consider whether there are any staff coming to the end of a fixed-term contract or otherwise at risk of redundancy within the department who meet the essential criteria for the post or who could do so with reasonable retraining or a short period of on-the-job experience, in accordance with the University’s established policy on priority candidates (in the current circumstances the opportunities for retraining may be limited, and departments should take that into account when assessing priority candidates). Any such candidates should be interviewed and offered the role (or the most suitable if there is more than one priority candidate) before the post is advertised.
12.2 If it is not possible to fill the post with a priority candidate from within the department, the department should consider whether it may be possible to develop existing staff and create an internal promotion opportunity.
12.3 If it is not possible to fill the post from within the department, the post should be advertised internally within the collegiate university, via the Adverts team with a view to filling it with existing employees of the University and the colleges if at all possible. The Senior Appointments Team (SAT) in University HR will monitor vacancies advertised and will alert priority candidates to vacancies where there is a potential skills match. SAT will also alert hiring managers to any such candidates, who will apply for the role in the usual way.
12.4 Internal advertisements must be live for at least two weeks, and all applicants who meet the essential requirements or who could do so with reasonable retraining or a short period of on-the-job experience should be interviewed.
12.5 In the case of a refill, if the only suitable candidate is a college employee or TSS worker, approval must be sought from the Registrar’s Recruitment Panel to appoint them, as this would add to the overall headcount and salary budget. The Division should email the relevant Panel Secretaries with details of the post, when it was approved and the request to appoint.
12.6 If no suitable candidate can be identified by internal recruitment, approval may be sought from the Registrar’s Recruitment Panel to advertise externally. Adverts should be placed via the Adverts team in the usual way.
- The Registrar's Recruitment Panel will meet fortnightly. A set of process maps and revised Protocol Process Guidance on how to submit are available from the right hand side of this page.